Re: ftp/sftp user account lockout threshold

Johan Booysen wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I find using pam modules a bit confusing at the moment.  Does anyone
know of a good example on how to use pam_tally in this way?

Thanks.

Johan

Add these lines to /etc/pam.d/system-auth

auth required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so onerr=fail no_magic_root

account required /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so deny=3 no_magic_root reset

Next, make a faillog:

# touch /var/log/faillog

Also, make sure /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver does not call system-auth, or you will not be able to unlock your screensaver. This is because xscreensaver doesn't have the rights to write to the faillog. I copied the contents of system-auth and put it in xscreensaver, and then I removed the pam_tally lines. Overkill probably, but it works for me.