ftp/sftp user account lockout threshold

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Tue Jul 24 15:20:12 UTC 2007

Bill,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I've also come across this explanation on the Internet:
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci121357
0,00.html

Firstly, something I don't quite understand is where on that page the
author says:

"The no_magic_root option ensures that accounts with a UID of 0 are
tallied. You can change this option to magic_root to reverse this
behaviour."

Does this mean that the root account will potentially be locked out?
Surely not, but I don't understand what the no_magic_root/magic_root
would then do.

Also, the author says:

The last option, per_user, allows you to exclude accounts from locking
if the accounts have a maximum login failure set explicitly. This
exclusion of accounts allows you to specify some accounts that won't be
locked and thus prevent them being the target of a potential Denial of
Service attack. I recommend you exclude any accounts whose disablement
will cause availability issues for applications or databases, for
example the user account that runs a database process. Account exclusion
are specified using the faillog command:

# faillog -u mysql -m -1

What are your views on doing this for all service accounts?

Thanks again.

Johan