The SMBMOUNT plot thickens

OK  - all suggestions taken and implemented.
Keep in mind (this is for Steve) I don't even HAVE the exact same prompts that you have.
Where YOU have
Microsoft network client - digitally sign communications (always) & (if server agrees)
I have
network client - digitally sign communications (always) & (if possible)

=-=-=-=
Not that big a deal ... but the fact that differences like that exist -for no real reason- just frosts my windshield
=-=-=-=
Anyway .....

Double verified permissions and enabled all the logging and here's what I get:

Event viewer shows a successful logon by my mount.cifs client
Event viewer shows a successful open of the target directory

Event viewer shows a successful READ of the target file ..... EVEN THOUGH LINUX gives me a "permission denied" error.
Samba logs on Linux show successful mount.   Nothing else.