USB external disk drive compatibility

Mike Hanby mhanby at uab.edu
Mon Jul 30 14:34:12 UTC 2007

It should work fine, however it will likely be pre-formatted as either
FAT32 or NTFS.

After you plug it in, run these commands:

# lsusb

should display a description of the new drive connected to the USB bus.

# dmesg | tail

should tell you which device file it's using (i.e. /dev/sdb)

and

# tail /var/log/messages