Monitoring Redhat systems.

John Horne john.horne at plymouth.ac.uk
Fri Jun 8 14:12:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-07 at 14:58 +0100, Ben wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007, McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
>
> > I am using BigBrother http://bb4.com/ to monitor an environment about
> > the same size as yours.  You can also have a look at
> > http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/ which is a derivative of BB.
>
> We too use BB + hobbit server.  We also use Munin to monitor everything
> else.

Interesting. We use BB for our server monitoring, and simply add on
home-grown scripts to monitor other things.

Do you run BB and hobbit together? That is, integrated together on one
web server/web page in some way. Otherwise, what is the advantage in
using hobbit, or indeed munin, rather than just BB? I have very briefly
looked at both hobbit and munin, and whilst they offer graphs of things
such as cpu/memory usage, this has not really been much of a problem for
us. BB reports if either is getting over-used. Other than that though, I
see no real advantage to just using BB.

Thanks,

John.