8GB RAM leads to problems on RHEL5 and Intel DQ965gf with latest BIOS

Vikas kedia.vikas at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 09:35:07 UTC 2007

Here are the symptoms on BIOS version 5882:
(http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13103/ENG/CO_5882_ReleaseNotes.pdf)

A. With 2 GB of RAM RHEL5 installs and runs fine.

B. With 8 GB of RAM RHEL5 refuses to install. Here is the screen shot
of the place where the install hangs:
http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/rnd/img/RHEL5-install-hangs-8GB-RAM.jpg

C. If I install RHEL5 with 2 GB of RAM and then upgrade the RAM to 8
GB the system boots but runs horribly slow.

Here are the symptoms on BIOS version 5869:
(http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13030/ENG/CO_5869_ReleaseNotes.pdf)

A. With 2 GB of RAM RHEL5 installs and runs fine.

B. With 8 GB of RAM RHEL5 refuses to install

C. If I install RHEL5 with 2 GB of RAM and then upgrade the RAM to 8
GB the system boots and runs ok.

Here are the hardware specs
1. Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
2. Motherboard: Intel DQ965GFEKR
3. Memory: Kingston value RAM KVR667D2N5/ 2G
4. Hard drive: WD500YS

Any idea what might be happening here ?

If you want me to run some additional tests to debug just let me know.

--
Vik
Technology manager