RHEL 5 on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jlgaddis at ivytech.edu
Mon Jun 25 09:09:28 UTC 2007

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Speaking of the Redhat-HCL, is the certified hardware db on RHN
> intentionally not so extensive? I looked for some
> Asus-motherboards but nothing was listed to be either certified
> or compatible, in fact I did not find anything Asus. Am I maybe
> looking from the wrong end, and should really be looking for
> chipsets instead of motherboard brands and preferrably whole
> systems instead of single components?

This is my own opinion and not anything from Red Hat, so take it FWIW.
=)

It is probably much easier and more preferable to certify a complete
system than individual components.  As an example, a specific Asus
motherboard may work perfectly when combined when certain other
hardware, but may not work correctly if certain other components are
correct.  Combine that with the fact that (in my experience) I.T. folks
would generally be buying complete servers for running their operations
(as opposed to building their own) and it probably works out better for
Red Hat, hardware vendors, and us customers.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis
Network Administrator