Tigris's Current - Up2date server

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Mon Jun 4 12:58:59 UTC 2007

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm reasonably familiar with yum, and know how to build "local" yum
repositories (e.g. using createrepo), but I have no idea how you set up
yum itself to download Red Hat updates for EL3.  Unless you mean
something like configuring one machine to update and keep all rpm
packages, and then running createrepo on the directory where the rpm
packages live (e.g. /var/spool/up2date), or maybe rather create and use
another directory and synch that with /var/spool/up2date, to use that as
a yum repository.

Any chance you could give me a bit of information on how you implemented
this?  I'd appreciate that very much.

Ideally I want to set up a system whereby I don't necessarily have to
make changes to the machines that need to be updated, i.e. not have to
install yum on them all.  This is why I was looking at Current, since it
seems like you only need to make minor changes to up2date on each
machine to get it to work.

I've also found DAG's mrepo, which may be an option, and which I'll be
testing soon.

The reasons we want to do this is (a) to save bandwidth, and (b) to
avoid having to go to the expense of implementing a Red Hat Network
Satellite solution.

Regards,

Johan