Time Synchronization

Sean McGlynn sean_mcglynn at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 12:30:31 UTC 2007

Hello,

I've just recently noticed two of my Linux servers are consistently having to adjust their time.  There is a difference in the descriptions of the adjustments as well.  One has a "step time server 10.57.108.171 offset 0.667403 sec" and the other "adjust time server 10.57.108.171 offset 0.111595 sec."  The first is always around .6 seconds, and the other always around .1 seconds.

The entries go back as far as the logging does, so perhaps this is the way it's always been on these servers.  I would like to know if this is just normal, or an indication that something may be wrong.  I'm also interested in the different terminology - step vs. adjust.  Does that have to do with the length of time involved (.6 seconds requiring a "step" as opposed to .1 seconds just an "adjustment")?  These are both relatively new physical machines.

Thank you.