up2date failing

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 17:14:26 UTC 2007

I had a problem with a completely screwy rpm database - rpm -q yielded
nothing at all, and I couldn't install any new rpm packages.

Red Hat Support helped me solve it, but please read my reply at the
bottom first, because I had to tweak their solution slightly:

=======Red Hat Support's suggestion:

The following is a procedure for recovering an RPM database (rpmdb) that
is missing packages due to up2date aborting during an rpm transaction.
I would request you to try this work around on the test system first ;
verify the results and apply on the production box.

1. Remove any stale locks in the rpmdb, eg:

# rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*

2. Back up the rpmdb, eg:

# tar -C /var/lib -czvf /var/lib/rpmdb-`date +%Y%m%d.%H%M%S`.tar.gz rpm/

3. Find a recent list of installed package versions (from before the
failure).  The easiest way is to get the last /var/log/rpmpkgs* file
generated before
      the failure.

4. Collect the package versions from the list obtained in step 3, eg:

# mkdir /tmp/pkgs

# cat /var/log/rpmpkgs.1 | sed 's,\.[^.]\+\.rpm$,,g' | while read nvr do
up2date --tmpdir=/tmp/pkgs --get $nvr done

5. Install the packages, but only to the rpmdb, eg:
# cd /tmp/pkgs
# ls *.rpm > MANIFEST
# rpm -Uvh --force --justdb MANIFEST

6. Run up2date to ensure the filesystem and the rpmdb are in sync, eg:

# up2date -uf

NOTE: It is recommended that you review the output from up2date as it
may contain messages about configuration files that were or were not
overwritten during the update process.

7. Check the results using rpm, eg:

# rpm -Va

=======End of Red Hat's suggestion

=======My reply:
Thanks very much - that seems to have solved the problem, although I had
to manually update the rmp database (using --justdb) with a few packages
that weren't downloaded from Red Hat automatically.

For your information, this didn't work for me, for some reason:
# cat /var/log/rpmpkgs.1 | sed 's,\.[^.]\+\.rpm$,,g' | while read nvr do
up2date --tmpdir=/tmp/pkgs --get $nvr done

but changing it slightly to this did:

for nvr in $(cat /var/log/rpmpkgs.3 | sed 's,\.[^.]\+\.rpm$,,g')
do
   up2date --tmpdir=/tmp/pkgs --get $nvr
done

=======End of my reply