Problem with i386 software on a 64 bit Machine

Chris chris at flamengro.co.za
Tue Jun 12 18:38:32 UTC 2007

Hi every body.
I am new on this mailing list.

I have a small problem. I am using RHEL4 x86_64 with 2.6.9-55.ELsmp kernel on
a HP XW9300 machine. I have downloaded VMware server and OpenOffice 2.2, both
programs are 32 bit. The problem is when I type the command in a shell to
execute either of these progams they dont start up vmware does nothing and
return the prompt and OpenOffice just do nothing. I have noticed when I try
to run OpenOffice and I type ps -e there are two programs under soffice that
are <defunct> c++filt and addr2line. I have installed both these programs on
a machine that runs OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64 and they run on that machine. I
don't think it is the software.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris