redhat-list Digest, Vol 40, Issue 11

Chris chris at flamengro.co.za
Wed Jun 13 14:01:52 UTC 2007

> Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:23:54 -0400
> From: "Gaddis, Jeremy L." <jlgaddis at ivytech.edu>
> Subject: RE: Problem with i386 software on a 64 bit Machine
> To: "General Red Hat Linux discussion list" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
>du>

> Chris wrote:
> > I have a small problem. I am using RHEL4 x86_64 with 2.6.9-55.ELsmp
> > kernel on a HP XW9300 machine. I have downloaded VMware server and
> > OpenOffice 2.2, both programs are 32 bit. The problem is when I type
> > the command in a shell to execute either of these progams they dont
> > start up vmware does nothing and return the prompt and OpenOffice
> > just do nothing. I have noticed when I try to run OpenOffice and I
> > type ps -e there are two programs under soffice that are <defunct>
> > c++filt and addr2line. I have installed both these programs on a
> > machine that runs OpenSuse 10.2 x86_64 and they run on that machine.
> > I don't think it is the software.
>
> WRT VMware, did you run vmware-config.pl to set it up?  If not, that
> should be your first step.

The first time I try to run vmware it gave me a message that I should run
vmware-config.pl first. I did that and everything went through without any
hickups. All the daemons start up and are running vmnet-bridge, vmnet-natd,
vmware-serverd, vmnet-netifup 2 off and vmnet-dhcpd 2 off. When I start
vmware nothing is happening. Surely if it need any libraries I would get a
error message telling me it can,t find it. Is there somewhere else I can look
to see if everything is there.