Time Differences

Glenn glenn at mail.txwes.edu
Wed Jun 20 19:22:22 UTC 2007

I'm trying to figure out why different applications display different times
on my fully-patched RHEL 4 server.  Assume the time at the console is 10:00.
If I log in remotely using PuTTy, the date command shows the time is 10:00.
If I create a text file, it also shows it was created at 10:00.  If I connect
via FTP using the same user name and list the text file, the creation time
shows 15:00.  In fact, all the file times are five hours later in the FTP
window than they are in the PuTTy window.  There is another application, a
print server, that shows all times an hour different from the console time.
Any idea why the differences, or how to fix them?  Thanks.   -Glenn.