Time Differences

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jun 21 07:44:40 UTC 2007

On 20Jun2007 14:22, Glenn <glenn at mail.txwes.edu> wrote:
| I'm trying to figure out why different applications display different times
| on my fully-patched RHEL 4 server.  Assume the time at the console is 10:00.
| If I log in remotely using PuTTy, the date command shows the time is 10:00.
| If I create a text file, it also shows it was created at 10:00.  If I connect
| via FTP using the same user name and list the text file, the creation time
| shows 15:00.  In fact, all the file times are five hours later in the FTP
| window than they are in the PuTTy window.  There is another application, a
| print server, that shows all times an hour different from the console time.
| Any idea why the differences, or how to fix them?  Thanks.   -Glenn.

Your FTP server is not running in your personal default local time.

The underlying system (kernel and on-disc filesystem structures) record
time in seconds since midnight 01jan1970 GMT, and the default time
rendering converts to your local timezone for display purposes.

This is controlled by an envionment variable $TZ on a per-process basis,
and otherwise by a system file with a default is $TZ is not specially
set.

Probably the login process sets $TZ for you and the system default is
not set up.

Try running the system-config-time command from a root shell.
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

So the master hit the novice upside the head with the back of his hand.
"Why did you do that!?"  "I do not want to have to learn another editor."
And the student was enlightened.        - Larry Colen <lrc at netcom.COM>