How do you get your RHEL CDs?

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jlgaddis at ivytech.edu
Sun Jun 24 01:59:12 UTC 2007

Furnish, Trever G wrote:
> Thanks for the thoughts, but yes, just purchasing the media would
> definitely be better for me.  I need 30 sets, of every major
> update.  I don't even want to make one set, especially given that
> "one set" is actually four different sets for the different
> versions we use, let alone 30.  Just being able to buy the CDs
> would simplify things greatly.
>
> If I can't get that to happen ( :-( ), then I'll probably resort
> to copying the CD images to 8GB USB drives and setting up vmware
> player with an image to serve them to clients for network
> installs, but that still adds a dependency of having at least a
> laptop and network connections for my recovery (not a big deal),
> and it still requires at least one boot CD per anaconda release.
> What needless pain.

You could always use mkdvdiso.sh (see Google) to turn the four or five
CDs per release/architecture into a single DVD ISO image and use those,
assuming the machines you may need to use them on have DVD-ROM drives.
Alternatively, mount the DVD ISOs via loopback, make them available on a
central server (or one server/location, if bandwidth limitations apply)
and add PXE booting and kickstart into the mix to automate things as
much as possible.

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis
Network Administrator