RHEL 5 on a Dell PowerEdge 600SC

Gaddis, Jeremy L. jlgaddis at ivytech.edu
Mon Jun 25 07:23:50 UTC 2007

Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> The 600SC was "certified" on RHEL 3.  That would lead me to
>> assume that it'll run RHEL 5 just fine, but YMMV, of course.
>
> New on this list and to RHEL.

RHEL is awesome, I am sure you will soon love it as much as many of us
do.  Welcome to the list, as well.

> Is it generally assumed that new RHEL-releases are backwards
> compatible, and thus certified, on eg server-systems like this
> Dell mentioned?

I don't believe this is "officially" the case, but more times than not
this has been the case (in my experience, anyways).  I'm sure there are
instances where new versions of RHEL will not include something
(drivers/other software/etc.) that was needed for a previous version
(especially in the case of older hardware), but RHEL supports a *lot* of
hardware devices.

As always, if your system isn't on the HCL, make sure to test it
extensively.

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis