What is using the memory

George Thompson george at twig.tk
Tue Jun 26 16:02:33 UTC 2007

Running RHEL4

We are uing weblogic which has three java proceses. The sum of the
percentage memory used of these processes is about 42% .

 ps -aux | grep java | gawk '{ print $11, $4}'
/opt/od-home/OpenDeployNG/jre/bin/java   0.3
/opt/java/liveJava/bin/java             24.2
/opt/java/liveJava/bin/java             18.1

If I do ps -aux and add up all the %cpu coulums it totals about 45%. Yet
when i look at sar -r

sar -r | gawk '{ print $1, $2, $5}' | head
12:00:01 AM %memused
12:10:01 AM 99.76
12:20:01 AM 99.72

It seems to think the memory is 99% used. But I cant see any other
processes in the process table using any significant memory.

Here is the contents of /proc/meminfo . I dont fully understand what all
the entries mean.

[root at web1]/etc# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:      8164748 kB
MemFree:        164748 kB
Buffers:        108356 kB
Cached:         478412 kB
SwapCached:      38628 kB
Active:        3690740 kB
Inactive:       409064 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:      8164748 kB
LowFree:        164748 kB
SwapTotal:    16779884 kB
SwapFree:     16643592 kB
Dirty:            2508 kB
Writeback:           0 kB
Mapped:        3529560 kB
Slab:           185824 kB
CommitLimit:  20862256 kB
Committed_AS:  7658544 kB
PageTables:      13484 kB
VmallocTotal: 536870911 kB
VmallocUsed:    271300 kB
VmallocChunk: 536599035 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:     2048 kB
[root at weblogic1]/etc#

Our customer is asking us to explain what is using the memory and we have
no answer.

George