Network Card Issue

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Thu Jun 28 07:00:38 UTC 2007

Thanks for the info. I have just run "ethtool eth0" and it says that I am
running at 10Mb/s Full Duplex  but I  do have auto negotiation on so I am
unsure as to why it is running at such a low speed and not using the card
at full speed? Any Ideas why before I have a go doing the  command you
suggested below?

Regards

[IMAGE]
|+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
||   Ray Van Dolson         |                                             |
||   <rvandolson at esri.com>  |           To:        General Red Hat Linux  |
||   Sent by:               |   discussion list <redhat-list at redhat.com>  |
||   redhat-list-bounces at red|           cc:                               |
||   hat.com                |           Subject:        Re: Network Card  |
||                          |   Issue                                     |
||   27/06/2007 17:26       |                                             |
||   Please respond to      |                                             |
||   General Red Hat Linux  |                                             |
||   discussion list        |                                             |
||                          |                                             |
|+--------------------------+---------------------------------------------|

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 05:25:26PM +0100, Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
wrote:
> I am running a Redhat Linux ES version 3 machine with network card that
can
> run at 10, 100 or 1000 mbits. I have just noticed that for some reason it
> is only running on 10 mbits and we need this machine in particular to run
> at 1000 mbits. I am currently not able to get on the Redhat gui interface
> but can at command line due to an additional issue. Could anyone tell me
> how I check the speed the network card is actually running at and let me
> know a way of getting it running on 1000 mbits.

You want to look at ethtool or mii-tool.

ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 should force the card to gigabit... watch
for errors and check /var/log/messages and dmesg output for any issues.

You might tweak with the duplex settings as well (see man ethtool)

Are you at the latest kernel/updates for your system?  Perhaps newer
drivers would address your problem.

Ray

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities