unresolved symbols loading aic79xx driver in rescue environment

Samuel Leibowitz samuel.leibowitz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 16:50:15 UTC 2007

I have an LTO-3 tape drive attached via an Adaptec 79xx card, which I've
used to back up the / and /boot filesystems on a server using /sbin/dump
-0.  My intention is to bring up the tape drive using the installation media
in rescue mode, load the aic79xx driver, then restore the tape to the
(freshly formatted) filesystem.

However, trying to load the appropriate scsi driver doesn't work (transcript
slightly edited):

# insmod aic79xx.o
unresolved symbol _diskdump_del_timer_R6e4ae275
 unresolved symbol _diskdump_mod_timer_R149821d8
 unresolved symbol _diskdump_del_timer_R23163dfb
 unresolved symbol _diskdump_tasklet_schedule_Racd0d2f4

This is using install media for RHEL 3u3.

Many thanks,
   Sam Leibowitz