RHEL3 missing library

Michael Scully agentscully at flexiblestrategies.com
Thu Mar 1 21:59:56 UTC 2007

Listers:

	I had an end user update all their packages on RHEL3 ES yesterday.
They were given the alert about the DST problems that exists, so I figured
the easiest things to do was to let them update everything install on the
server, rather than try to describe to them the particular packages
affected.  I've never had an issue with up2date at all.

	However, a high number of packages are now failing because of a
missing library:
GCC_4.2.0 not found (required by /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5).  If you search
the support database, you get the rather lame statement that follows:

The application is failing because the application bundled libgcc, but not
libstdc++. libstdc++ relies on libgcc, therefore the application using a
custom version of libgcc and Red Hat's version of libstdc++ causes the
application to break.

Both libgcc and libstdc++ are core libraries, applications should never
bundle their own versions of these libraries.

Red Hat and the rest of the OSS community make a significant effort to make
sure all of the core libraries are backwards compatible (that all new
versions of the library can be used by applications expecting old
libraries), specifically so that third party vendors products don't break
when Red Hat ships new libraries.

	So this is getting out of my person expertise in dealing with C
libraries.  Does anyone know the solution?  I'm dead in the water here,
since many critical packages (X windows, Apache, etc.) are now failing.
Besides that, isn't the whole reason for a subscription service for RedHat
to vet all these packages interoperability before posting them in the update
database?

Scully