RHEL3 missing library

Andrew Bacchi bacchi at rpi.edu
Fri Mar 2 14:30:47 UTC 2007

<rant>

I just upgraded my workstation yesterday from RH 8 to RHAS 4, a job I've
been meaning to do for the past 3 years.  After getting tons of stuff
set up the way they were on my old version, I tried installing Firefox,
not the rpm, but the tar.gz from Mozilla.  It complained about not
finding libstdc++.so.5.

Now I checked the versions, and I show libstdc++ 6.0.3 installed, but
Firefox is looking for an OLDER gcc library.  Umm, a little coordination
needs to be arranged between the software guys.  And YES that is what we
are paying RH to do.

I've had no problem on any of my many AS 3 or AS 4 servers, but when I
want to run a desktop my simple workstation barfs.  RedHat needs to do
better, else slip down to MS level.

</rant>

--
veritatas simplex oratio est