"Device 08:11 not ready" - error log

Matthew Galgoci mgalgoci at redhat.com
Wed Mar 7 03:48:50 UTC 2007

> I am getting the following error log in the /var/log/messages
>
> kernel: Device 08:11 not ready.
> kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 2
> kernel: Device 08:01 not ready.
> kernel:  I/O error: dev 08:01, sector 0
> Is this a hardware problem
>
> I need to know for which hardware, i am not able to find it in the syslog
> messages

This is for device /dev/sda11 and /dev/sda1. You can pretty much assume it
is for all the partition on the disk.

08 is the scsi major for scsi disks.

01 is the minor for the first partition of the first disk

11 is the minor for the 10th partition on the first disk.

Each disk has a maximum of 16 partitions, 0 through 15.

eg:

[mgalgoci at workstation0 ~]$ ls /dev/sd* -al
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  0 2007-01-18 14:03 /dev/sda
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  1 2007-01-18 14:03 /dev/sda1
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8,  2 2007-01-18 14:03 /dev/sda2
brw-r----- 1 root disk 8, 16 2007-01-18 14:03 /dev/sdb