fixing failed dependances

Mike Kearey mkearey at redhat.com
Thu Mar 8 23:44:28 UTC 2007

David Bear wrote:
> up2date refuses to complete because of some failed dependancies. I
> seem to be missing something called kernelib -- but I don't know how
> to locate a package by that name using system-config-packages (there's
> no search function).
>
> Whats the redhat way of finding a package -- or better yet, having
> up2date just fix the dependancies by installing what it needs?

Hi David.

 up2date command may be used at the Terminal to list what's available
from RHN, and what's to be updated.

To list all packages available from the channels the system is
subscribed to at RHN:

up2date --showall

To list what is available at RHN as updates to the currently installed
packages:

up2date --list

To update a system using up2date at a Terminal:

up2date -uf

The -u means update, the f means to force or overide the default skip of
kernel packages that up2date is configured to do.

There may be some packages installed that are not managed by up2date and
are not at RHN.

To find packages not managed by up2date  'man up2date':

 --show-orphans
              List all packages currently installed that
              are  not present in channels the server is
              subscribed to.

up2date --show-orphans

Cheers,
Michael