dhcp and Dynamic DNS -- Multi-Boot OS clients

George Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Mon Mar 12 13:25:59 UTC 2007

Look in the /var/db/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases (or wherever your dhcp leases are
placed in your setup) and try to locate the windows and linux
incarnation lease statements of the box in question. I would probably
say (I can only guess) that there is a difference between the lease for
the windows and the linux instance, in that Windows incarnations tend to
define additional bits in their lease statements such as a 'uid'
statement that obfuscates your MAC address with a 1 and sends it over,
in addition to the Ethernet broadcast that makes your DHCP server aware
of who is asking for an IP. A linux client will not use that uid bit, so
it does not send explicitly some coded info. That's OK for DHCP, but not
OK for your RRset DDNS ops.

If you don't make the two OSes to send #exactly# the same amount of info
(your RRset record in DNS should use both the uid and the hardware MAC
address to identify the system in question) the RRset record will be
void and you will get problems similar to the ones you describe.

The key is to make the Windowz and the Penguin behave exactly the same,
so in that case, if you have a uid statement in the Windows lease, go to
the Linux #client# OS /etc/dhclient.conf file and issue a statement like:

send dhcp-client-identifier YOUR-MAC-ADDRESS-HERE

in order to emulate the Windows uid bit.

If it is not that, I don't know.

GM

George Magklaras

Senior Computer Systems Engineer/UNIX Systems Administrator
EMBnet Technical Management Board
The Biotechnology Centre of Oslo,
University of Oslo
http://www.biotek.uio.no/