Mirror second drive with rsync

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:58:11 UTC 2007

   David Bear wrote:

 On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:46:33PM -0500, Jim Canfield wrote:

 Greetings,

 I currently have a situation where I have decided against raid mirroring
 for several reasons, primarily because I always want a snapshot of a
 previous day on a second drive. I am looking for some best practice
 advice on how this should be done.  I'd like to hear some better ideas
 if you all have any:

 take a look at rsnapshot.org -- it use rsync to do what you want.. and
 more.

   Looks like a great utility.  This would be a great way to catch hourly
   changes on a remote file system or a third data drive.  If I understand
   the documentation, using this method on the rescue drive would require a
   rebuild...something I'm trying to avoid.  I do like the idea of having
   hourly changes remotely for the quick misconfiguration fix or bad update.

   Thanks for the link.

   -Jim