Redhat DNS Settings

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Mon Mar 26 14:09:59 UTC 2007

> I am currently trying to change the DNS machines that my redhat machine
> looks at. I need to find out if there is anything else i need to edit other
> than the /etc/resolv.conf file. Also how to do i apply these settings
> without rebooting the machine.

No reboots are required to activate these settings.  You might want to
restart any service that does DNS lookups just to be safe, although I
imagine it depends mostly on the service.  Also, if this machine uses
DHCP, you want to make sure that there is not a statement reading
"PEERDNS=YES" in any of your interfaces.

HTH,
Barry