RHEL 3 GLIBC

Kevin K k_krieser at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 28 00:00:22 UTC 2007

Noticed yesterday that the i386 version version of glibc is
apparently built differently than the i686 version.  I'm using Update 8.

Differently than the obvious of targeted CPU.

More specifically, it appears that it doesn't support NPTL.  When
running a threaded application on a system with the i386 version, it
shows up in ps as multiple processes, unlike when running with the
i686 version.  In addition, when running an application that really,
really cares, about threading, it just dies from a segmentation
violation with the 386 version installed.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be?

Since I need to be able to support some Pentium based systems with
this OS, I need to find a workaround for this, hopefully without
having to provide 2 different versions of the OS that have different
capabilities.  Note, I have already recompiled the Linux kernel for
Pentium, and replaced the SSL RPM with the 386 version.

I started experimenting with rebuilding the glibc from source RPM,
though am not having the best of success so far.  If I just do an
rpmbuild, the configure is done without tls when targetting i586 or
lower.  If I try i686, I don't get the same directory structure of /
lib/i686 and /lib/tls that the distribution has.

Thanks,
Kevin