ssh and keys

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Wed Mar 28 16:39:55 UTC 2007

>Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:30:45 +0100 (BST)
>From: "John O'Loughlin" <j.oloughlin at qmul.ac.uk>
<snip>
>Those are different keys, the machine's keys are used for encrypting the
>traffic, a user's public/private key pair is used for authentication (the
>public key in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys)
>
>In /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>
>you'll see:
>
>PubkeyAuthentication yes
>AuthorizedKeysFile .ssh/authorized_keys
>
>and indeed you can turn off password ssh login altogether
>
>PasswordAuthentication no
<snip>
Ahhh.... So to turn off the password request, you have to have access to those files. Since this is a production box that I'm going to, I don't have those rights (and network ops would probably be *very* indignant if I did <g>).

So, no matter what I do, with my rights, I'll still have to supply my password, yes?

    mark