RHEL4U5 and NIC flipping

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) Marshall.McDougall at gov.mb.ca
Thu May 3 14:28:51 UTC 2007

I am in the midst of building several new servers using RHEL4U4.  I had
not yet released them to production use and saw that U5 was available.
I thought what better time to do it than right now when I have the
ability to deal with anything untoward.

Well, the untoward comes in the form of the nics getting flipped.  After
the update, I rebooted the machines and none of them came back online.
I had to make all of the eth0's eth1's and vice versa.  This has
occurred on HP and Dell servers.  Has anyone else seen this?  Just
curious.

Regards, Marshall