RHEL4U5 and NIC flipping

clockwork at sigsys.org clockwork at sigsys.org
Thu May 3 18:34:09 UTC 2007

Yes but if your changing the mac and the device then its not static, its
changing. I need eth0 to always be on the same port (port0) (vlan taggging,
security reasons etc) so when I update/install and port0 is now being
detected as eth1, my network is screwed. I need a way to say  port0 == eth0
no matter what order they are detected in.

ifrename does it, but it requires stopping a bunch of stuff, running it and
then restarting a bunch of stuff. Adding the command into the
/etc/rc.sysinit file doesn't work (the interfaces appear to be already
initialized).

Adding the MACADDR option is supposed to set the mac from what I can tell,
but that isnt the case on rhel 5 on my e1000 nic.