secondary DNS probem ( thanks steven)

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Wed May 16 21:11:46 UTC 2007

sylvan dacounha wrote:
> thnaks stevan..
>   really apprecite your quick reply..
>   u advise was a grt help for me
>
>   i was makin a silly mistake
>
>   jus for your information i paste a part of named.conf file where i was
> makin the mistake
>
>   acl allow-list {10.0.0.0/8;
>                 172.16.0.0/16;
>                 62.150.152.0/24;
>                 195.226.224.72;
>                 195.226.224.74;
>                 127.0.0.1;
>                 };
> options {
>         directory "/var/newnamed";
>         //allow-query { allow-list; };
>         allow-notify { 62.150.152.2 ; };
>         allow-recursion { allow-list; };
>         recursion no;
>
>   i had recursion no --statement after my acl allow list ..
>   i jus removed it and it worked perfect...
>
>   btw i jus wanna know is my server open to dos attacks since i already
> have my acl list ..
>   so definately my server is safe ... am i right

Go to a machine not on a net in your acl and try

$ dig @62.150.152.1  www.qwertyasdfgh.net

you should get back a list of root servers for .net.

Preventing recursion does not protect your from all DOS attacks against
DNS but it does stop some of the most obvious ones.  The law of
dimishing returns applies to security too.  Fortunately 99% of the
a**holes out there are looking for easy targets so even a few small
measures will prompt them to look elsewhere.

--
Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Systems Engineer