how to implement fencing ?

aix tiger aix_tiger at yahoo.com
Tue May 1 07:34:01 UTC 2007

Guys

I am currently configuring RHEL cluster and as this is my first time to configure RHEL cluster so i am facing few problems: I need you guys input an help.

1. My first question is about fencing, I have configured HP ILO for both of the cluster nodes. But while configuraing these fence devices for nodes in cluster configuration tool , i am confused. Should i place both fence devices(comil01 & comilo2) in same fence level and assign this fence level to both cluster nodes.OR i should create two fence levels ( each with one fence device ) and then assign these levels to each node.

2. How i can create a ethernet based heartbeat channel between the cluster nodes. I have two nodes comm1 with ip address of 172.16.2.182 and comm2 with ip address of 172.16.2.183.Should i place a cross cable between the other interface available on the nodes and put ip like 192.168.10.1 & 192.168.10.2 on them . Then how can tell my cluster to use this ethernet link as heartbeat between the nodes?

Please advice as i am a newbie for this sort of cluster configuration on RHEL

Best Regards

Polani