query abt yum

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Sun May 6 05:00:43 UTC 2007

thnks a lot for your quick reply

  anyway i said i would install clamav manully so i download the tar file n now when i try to configure it it gives me a message

  checking for zlib installation... /usr
configure: error: The installed zlib version may contain a security bug. Please upgrade to 1.2.2 or later.

  now i want to installed zlib using yum

  so when i run

  yum search zlib
  it shows me
  Searching Packages:
Setting up repositories
update                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
base                      100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00
addons                    100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
extras                    100% |=========================| 1.1 kB    00:00

zlib-devel.i386                          1.2.1.2-1.2            base
Matched from:
zlib-devel
Header files and libraries for Zlib development.
The zlib-devel package contains the header files and libraries needed
to develop programs that use the zlib compression and decompression
library.
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

iptstate.i386                            1.3-4                  base
Matched from:
IP Tables State (iptstate) was originally written to implement
the "state top" feature of IP Filter (see "The Idea" below) in
IP Tables. "State top" displays the states held by your stateful
firewall in a top-like manner.
  Since IP Tables doesn't have a built in way to easily display
this information even once, an option was added to just have it
display the state table once.
  Features include:
    - Top-like realtime state table information
    - Sorting by any field
    - Reversible sorting
    - Single display of state table
    - Customizable refresh rate
    - Open Source (specifically I'm using the zlib license)

zlib.i386                                1.2.1.2-1.2            base
Matched from:
zlib
The zlib compression and decompression library.
Zlib is a general-purpose, patent-free, lossless data compression
library which is used by many different programs.
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

iptstate.i386                            1.3-4                  installed
Matched from:
IP Tables State (iptstate) was originally written to implement
the "state top" feature of IP Filter (see "The Idea" below) in
IP Tables. "State top" displays the states held by your stateful
firewall in a top-like manner.
  Since IP Tables doesn't have a built in way to easily display
this information even once, an option was added to just have it
display the state table once.
  Features include:
    - Top-like realtime state table information
    - Sorting by any field
    - Reversible sorting
    - Single display of state table
    - Customizable refresh rate
    - Open Source (specifically I'm using the zlib license)

perl-Compress-Zlib.i386                  1.41-1                 installed
Matched from:
perl-Compress-Zlib
Compress-Zlib Perl module
Compress-Zlib Perl module
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Compress-Zlib/

zlib-devel.i386                          1.2.1.2-1.2            installed
Matched from:
zlib-devel
Header files and libraries for Zlib development.
The zlib-devel package contains the header files and libraries needed
to develop programs that use the zlib compression and decompression
library.
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

zlib.i386                                1.2.1.2-1.2            installed
Matched from:
zlib
The zlib compression and decompression library.
Zlib is a general-purpose, patent-free, lossless data compression
library which is used by many different programs.
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/

  now when i run yum update zlib

  Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
Could not find update match for zlib
No Packages marked for Update/Obsoletion

  even though the pakage is there i cant upgrade it

  i also ran

  yum update zlib.i386

  i get the same error

  appreciate your reply

  thanks

  simon

Andrei Pascal <andrei at romsym.ro> wrote:
  On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 16:11 +0200, Manuel Arostegui Ramirez wrote:

> I suggest you to first search for the package with:
> yum search clamav
>
> May be the package is not called exactly clamav.
>
> Hope this helps.
> --
> Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

ClamAV is not included in RHEL, but it can be fund in external
repositories. Please keep in mind that Red Hat does NOT support these
external applications!

For clamav - and a whole lot of other apps - check

http://dag.wieers.com/rpm/

Best regards,
Andrei