shrinking LVM-volume and add new volumes

m.roth2006 at rcn.com m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Mon May 7 17:41:56 UTC 2007

>Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 15:32:58 +0200
>From: Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de>
>
>may be I've been a little bit to fast setting up a new RHEL5 server :-)
>
>I've created a volumegroup on a hardwareraid about 1.8TB and there is
>one logical volume mounted on / using ext3.
>
>Now I do need some more volumes because of getting better quota
>management; e.g. a temporary share without quota on or special project
>accounts.
>
>The simple question: How to proceed? I've been reading some RH Manuals
>and home how tos, but I'm not realy shure if I got all things right.
>(resize filesystem, change logic volume size, add a new logic volume,
>put a filesystem on it, mount it somewhere, copy the stuff from the
>"big" volume to the new, ...)
>
>Hase someone a simple how to what steps have to be done? May be it's
>also a problem, that the volume is mounted as /.
>
>Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!

The best I can suggest is this:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/

Also, if you have any other volumes available, I'd copy, say, /usr to one, and maybe /sbin, /bin, /lib and /etc to another. (Ask someone else what to do with /dev....) then reboot, mounting the other stuff in place of your current /.

    mark