interface aliases

Larry Brown larry.brown at dimensionnetworks.com
Fri May 11 18:11:21 UTC 2007

Has anyone done any work where multiple applications use different
aliases to a single ethernet card to talk to one another?  IE

One application uses 10.10.10.1
The next uses 10.10.10.2
The last uses 10.10.10.3

They are all:

eth0:1
eth0:2
eth0:3

One of the applications talks to another application as if it is on
another box addressing messages to its IP address.

For the most part this works fine.  I noticed that this process
generates a lot of un-answered arp requests.  I don't know if I am
playing with fire with this for some reason or the only ill affect is
that these arp requests add unnecessary traffic.  Any thoughts?

By the way, the reason for these apps talking to one another via IP is
that sometimes those apps are offloaded to other systems and we don't
want to have to change logic in communication.

Larry