Hp - linux X-Application

Matthijs.Sneijders at corusgroup.com Matthijs.Sneijders at corusgroup.com
Tue May 15 12:13:37 UTC 2007

You definately do not need ssh to make this work....

what you probably need to do is make sure that the firewall on your linux
machine lets the x-session through.
default port nubers are:  "The X11 server for each display listens on ports
6000 + display number."
so for linuxsystem1:0  you should enable inbound traffic on port 6000, for
linuxsystem1:1 it would be port 6001.

xhost + grants "ALL" permissions to use your linux workstation as an X
server, better should be to use "xhost +yourHPmachine"
and then when your done......"xhost -yourHPmachine"

using ssh with tunnelled X  is more secure as with the requested method
both your login information on the HP and the X data are going through the
network unencrypted.

|   Matthijs Sneijders                                                     |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   CORUS Research, Development & |                 |
|     |   Technology                    |                 |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   Building 3G16 room 3-337      |                 |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   P.O. Box 10.000               |                 |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   1970 CA IJMUIDEN              |                 |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   phone                         |   +31           |
|     |                                 |   (0)251-496400 |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   fax                           |   +31           |
|     |                                 |   (0)251-470064 |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|     |   mail                          |   matthijs.sneij|
|     |                                 |   ders at corusgrou|
|     |                                 |   p.com         |
|-----+---------------------------------+-----------------|
|+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------|
||   "surendra kumar"      |                                             |
||   <surendrak77 at gmail.com|           To:        "General Red Hat Linux |
||   >                     |   discussion list" <redhat-list at redhat.com> |
||   Sent by:              |           cc:                               |
||   redhat-list-bounces at re|           Subject:        Re: Hp - linux    |
||   dhat.com              |   X-Application                             |
||                         |                                             |
||   15-05-2007 13:22      |                                             |
||   Please respond to     |                                             |
||   General Red Hat Linux |                                             |
||   discussion list       |                                             |
|+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------|

dear

firstly install ssh without  ssh installation could not working xhost

On 5/15/07, Padiyath Sreekumaran <kumar.padiyath at psi.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
> I have the following problem. I want to use a SW which is installed on
> a HP.
> My desktop is a RedHat installed linux machine. Iam logging with
> telnet
> (ssh is not installed on HP!)on HP. I did the following on my desktop.
> Executed "xhost + " before logging to HP. Logged with telnet on HP and
> executed
> the command setenv DISPLAY linuxxx:0. When I run "xclock" I get the
> following
> error:
> "Error: Can't open display: linuxxx:0"
>
> How can I overcome this error. I want to use an X-Application on HP.
> I would like to have your suggestion as early as possible. I cannot
> do anything HP since I donot have root privilege on that machine.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>   Kumar
> P.S. Please send a copy of the E-mail in my personal E-mail address
>       if possible. Thanks.
> Padiyath Sreekumar       |   Tel: +41.56.310.3643
> Paul Scherrer Institut   |   email: kumar.padiyath at psi.ch
> AIT                      |   Office: WHGA/U132
> WHGA/U132                |   Fax: +41.56.310.3649
> CH-5232 Villigen PSI     |
> Switzerland              |

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities