Machine not Booting - Update

Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com Andrew.Bridgeman at corusgroup.com
Tue May 15 14:58:28 UTC 2007

Problem continued.

If I hash the /dev/md0 line out of the /etc/fstab the machine boots fine.
When i try a mount -a when the machine has come up i get the error below. I
have double checked the fstab and it is identical to the other 40 odd
machines so it is not a problem with a typo etc. Does anyone know something
else i can look at to resolve this issue.

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0,
       or too many mounted file systems
       (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
       ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)

I know the fs type is OK , the options are right in the fstab and i only
have around 10 files systems mounted so the only thing left is the bad
Superblock - does anyone know what this is referring too?

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman

----- Forwarded by Andrew Bridgeman/UK/Corus on 15/05/2007 15:44 -----
|+-----------+----------------------------------------------|
||   Andrew  |                                              |
||   Bridgema|           To:        redhat-list at redhat.com  |
||   n       |           cc:                                |
||           |           Subject:        Machine not Booting|
||   15/05/20|                                              |
||   07 10:40|                                              |
||           |                                              |
|+-----------+----------------------------------------------|

I am currently having problems with a Redhat machine not booting after a DD
image of another machine has been put on to it. We have 40 odd machines
with all exactly the same spec and OS config and DD is used to image one
machine incase of a disk failure. This image is kept on a network drive and
then deployed when needed. I have checked to make sure the Raid settings on
the machine are correct and they seem fine showing 2 x 36gig disks
individually using raid 0.

The error i get when i reboot the machine after the image has been deployed
to it is below, it then prompt me for the root password to enter
maintenance mode. Has anyone seen this error before or do you have any
ideas where i can start to diagnose the problem.

" Invalid Argument when trying to open /dev/md0"

P.s  The /dev/md0 device is used for our /local_scratch area which is
around 60 gig in size.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew Bridgeman

This transmission is confidential and must not be used or disclosed by
anyone other than the intended recipient. Neither Corus Group Plc nor
any of its subsidiaries can accept any responsibility for any use or
misuse of the transmission by anyone.

For address and company registration details of certain entities
within the Corus group of companies, please visit
http://www.corusgroup.com/entities