Forcing modules aliases on install

Andrei Pascal andrei at romsym.ro
Wed May 16 15:44:55 UTC 2007

Dear all,

I have a system running varius versions of RHEL (it started on RHEL4 U2,
now it's running RHEL5). There's a strange behavior of this system, and
I cannot figure out why.

The system has two network cards:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5789
Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 11)
04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)

Even if the Broadcom device has a lower PCI address, it still gets
detected as eth1 while eth0 is assigned to the Realtek. For certain
reasons, I _need_ to have eth0 assigned to the Broadcom (on board)
device. Therefore after the install (which happens every few weeks,
depending on the activity in the area) I have to
reprocess /etc/modprobe.conf and the ifcfg-ethx files.

Is there ANY method to make anaconda - or whoever else is responsible
for this - assign the right alias to the right card? No, I cannot buy
another Broadcom card; no, I cannot use Realtek as eth0 (I need Gigabit
there).

Thanks a lot,
Andrei