Display name different from hostname

Stephen Carville stephen at totalflood.com
Fri May 25 17:10:37 UTC 2007

The new corporate masters have decreed that all new machine have to be
given a corporate assigned serial number as its name.  For example I
have a new Xen box I 'm using for development which we all call "drake"
but it's "slave name" is SCACITF01-D.  They name are pretty much
meaningless so most in development and systems uses the hosts file to
alias the common name to the slave name making this only a minor annoyance.

Less minor is that when I log onto a machine it displays the slave name.
  Is there a way to have the shell prompt display the common name
instead of the hostname?

--
Stephen Carville <stephen at totalflood.com>
Systems Engineer