import user into mysql

Ramsey, Robert L robert-ramsey at uiowa.edu
Tue Nov 6 17:48:36 UTC 2007

Import in what sense?  Since any user can read /etc/passwd you could go through and parse the names out of it and then and see if the name is a user name or group name.  You'd want to do a lot of error checking because you probably don't want to import the generic users like "nobody" or "apache" and so forth.

If you connected to the mysql database as someone who can grant rights, you could then grant rights to tables.  Or just import the names into a table.  I don't think you will be able to sync passwords though because the passwords should be stored in /etc/shadow.  Unless of course you are using ldap, ad, or other form on non-local authentication, which case they are stored somewhere else.  Not sure on that though; it should be possible to set up mysql to use your regular password, but I don't know how.

bob