Samba problem

Steven Buehler steve at ibushost.com
Thu Nov 1 15:23:59 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Nabeel Moidu
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 1:10 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Samba problem

On 10/31/07, Steven Buehler <steve at ibushost.com> wrote:

>         I have a samba server setup on RHEL AS 5.  I can access it
> locally,
> but not from a remote server.  I have even turned off the firewall
> altogether, but that didn't solve the problem.  My samba is setup to allow
> from any host and not deny from any host.  The errors that I get from
> remote
> hosts is connection timeout.  I can connect by other means, ftp, ssh, etc
> from the other hosts, so at least I know that the physical server that
> Samba
> is on can be reached.  I have tried connecting from windows servers and
> from
> Linux servers, but unless it is in my own local network of computers and
> servers here, I can't connect.  The other Linux and windows servers are
> all
> in different states (so of course, different networks).
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> Thanks
> Steve

Try telnetting to ports 135 137 138 139 and 445 on the samba server from the
remote server.
It would give an idea if its a firewall problem or something else.

I can get to the ports from the local network, but not from a remote
network.  I have some other servers in different Data centers around the
country.  I turned on samba by "service smb start" and turned off the
firewalls.  The same thing happened with them.  I was able to access them
from the local networks, to that server, but not from remote networks.

Thanks
Steve