Samba problem

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Thu Nov 1 17:34:16 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 12:14:19PM -0500, Steven Buehler wrote:
> > between your servers.
> >

> 	I was told that wasn't the issue, but I am thinking it might be.  I
> am assuming that it is with AT&T.  The server that I am "really" wanting
> Samba on for remote access is in my house running on a business class DSL.
> Supposedly AT&T doesn't block any ports and leaves it up to me to adjust my
> firewall.  I have actually turned off my firewall and still can't get to it.
> I have tried telnet to each of the ports from remote locations with no luck.
> I have even tried from several data centers where I have servers.  I tried
> setting up Samba on a couple of those servers in remote data centers and
> trying to go from data center to data center or from here I still can't do
> it.

on the box you run samba on try

netstat -tln

to make sure samba is listening on a public interface. If you see
someting like

0.0.0.0:443
0.0.0.0:139

you should be okay (samba is listening on ALL interfaces)

Then, we assume the firewall is turned off.

Still on the machine serving samba try

smbclient -L 10.9.8.7

of course change 10.9.8.8 to the address of your PUBLIC interface.

if it fails to connect still, samba is either not running, not
listening on the public interface, or your firewall is still on.

If it returns with a logon prompt - you are actually talk to samba.
that's what you want.

THEN go to ANOTHER computer in the SAME SUBNET as your samba server
and issue the same command.

This is checking whether a remote system can talk to samba. If you are
in the same subnet, chances are that a router/firewall will not get in
the way.

If this works, you should be good to go.

Now, go to the remote machine (different network, different subnet)
and try to ssh into your samba server.

If ssh works, then try to use the smbclient. If smbclient fails, you
might try tunneling through ssh with something like

ssh -L139:localhost:139 user at remotesamba.server

then issue an smbclient -L 127.0.0.1

If that connects, then you have some firewall between you and your
server that is stopping port 139 traffic.

Remember, samba can listen on both port 139 and 443 (139 is netbios
smb, and 443 is netbios-less smb)