SELinux?

Arpotu arpotu at apathynews.com
Fri Nov 2 14:23:57 UTC 2007

I agree that selinux is a step in the right direction, since it starts to
get past that "root owns everything" paradigm, but I would be much more
comfortable with it if I could *easily* view, create, and adjust
policies/context.  As it stands now, selinux is a patch, not a fix.  For
example, on reboot my mysql server doesn't start, but selinux isn't
mentioned as a culprit during boot.  As a result I spend time
investigating *other* problems, then finally disable selinux to see if it
works.  Voila!  So, now I can restorecon on mysql, reenable selinux and
all is well - Except that I had to GUESS at the cause.

Selinux (and it's current state of integration with RedHat) isn't quite
there yet.

Cheers,
Arpotu.