partitioning scheme

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Sun Nov 4 16:14:13 UTC 2007

Mad Unix wrote:
> which partitioning scheme would you recommend (/boot, /, /tmp, swap, /u01,
> /home, /opt, /var) for a server 2x73G with 16GRAM attached to SAN storage.
> am planning to keep most of file systems and live data on the SAN in case
> any fault on the server I can replace it with onther hardware identical one.

I'd offer the article I wrote that came out in the July 07 issue of SysAdmin,
but the mag gave up the ghost, and its website shows a servlet error....

Anyway, I would *STRONGLY* recommend /boot, / and swap be local (though
preferably have swap on its own partition, if not a different drive than /).
/u01 - using Oracle, are we? These days, it tends to wind up under /opt/oracle.
Anyway, I'd put the rest there.

MMmm, come to think of it, I think I'd want /var local, since that includes
things like the rpm database of packages installed on that machine.

	mark