Dell "software"

aichains aichains at nonstophate.com
Thu Nov 8 05:23:10 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 19:36 -0600, mark wrote:
> So, at work today, I realized I had to rebuild this server - it was on RHEL 3,
> and it really needed 4 (corporate hasn't looked at 5 yet).
>
> It's a Dell PowerEdge 850 - a blade. I, foolishly, put in the RHEL CDs that
> came with all these systems.... and the RH install program can't find the CD it
> booted from. After much irritation, I find a Dell package of CDs that you are
> apparently supposed to boot from; it's even got an install for RHEL 4. Great.
>
> AND SOME COMPLETE JACKASS AT DELL - what was this, release 8.9, and all by kids
> for whom this was their first job out of school? - FORCE YOU TO FORMAT ALL
> PARTITIONS. No options. No letting the RH install Disk Druid do it.
>
> So everything I had aside on /opt is toast, and that'll be hours more work.
>
> No, I can't recommend this crap.
>
> 	mark

the partitioning options in the dell OS installer cds are so inflexible
that its basically functionless - except for one thing.

if the rhel doesn't have the raid controller drivers built in yet, ive
used their cds to install the OS.  after the os is installed i use lvm
to create the partitioning scheme that i want.

this happens when dell releases a new perc, and rh hasnt released a
minor update that includes the drivers...its happened with every dell
hardware release in the last few years.  there's always a time period
where i have to use those damn cds...horrible.

on the other hand, dell's openmanage and linux hardware support is far
superior to ibm and hp, especially from a monitoring standpoint with the
up2date/yum openmanage repos.

if youre into mailing lists, you should look at subscribing to some of
dell's if you're not already on them...

here's their linux list homepage:

there are occasionally useful threads on the poweredge list:

aichains <aichains at nonstophate.com>