Dell "software"

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:05:17 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 8:46 AM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> Steve Phillips wrote:
> > mark wrote:
> >> And if this is "accepted" as common, then I reiterate, it's amateur,
> >> in the *worst* sense of the word. I wanted to save all the data, as
> >> I'd doing an upgrade of a full release. As I said in my article in the
> >> July SysAdmin magazine, it's always better to do a full install when
> >> going up a full release, since nobody gives you a good way to do that,
> >> as they do for a subrelease upgrade.
> >
> > You will probably find that this is simply a driver issue with, not so
> > much the CD ROM drive but the controller it is attached to.
>
> I'm sure it's a driver issue. But I haven't had that kind of problem - where it
> couldn't find the CD drive it had booted off - since the first time I put Linux
> on a laptop, what, in the late nineties.
> >
> > You will probably find that the controller is newer than the linux
> > distribution that you are using, I would almost put money on the fact
> > that you could download the latest RHEL 5 cds and everything would work.
>
> a) It's a Dell PowerEdge 850. We bought it well over a year ago. RHEL 4,
> subrelease whatever (Nahant?), is not that old; further, it *came* *with* the
> server.
> b) RHEL 5 is not an option. It would have to be approved by corporate, and
> that's not going to happen soon. This is not for me at home, this is me,
> working at a huge, Fortune 50 company. I have no options on this.
> >
> > You will probably also find that you can download a driver disk from
>
> I've already used their crap. And found even more "fun" (for *very* small
> values of fun): IT INSTALLS LINUX FOR YOU. They've apparently got a kickstart
> file in there, and you have no choice of what you want. It also puts things in
> non-standard places. Java, for example, seems to be under /usr/share. Since Sun
> wants it under /usr/java, and that's the way it's installed everywhere else, it
> completely breaks our software builds.
>
> > dell which will probably contain instructions on how to use the driver
> > to get a bootable image up and running so you can do an install off
> > standard media.
>
> The "quick start" guide doesn't even offer comments to that effect.
> <snip>
> > Take satisfaction that in a years time when someone else posts the same
> > complaint about $company and their braindead 'restore cd process' you
> > can chuckle away knowing that you've been in a similar situation.
>
> I will not chuckle. I will be pissed along with them, that the same company is
> still pulling the same crap.
>
>         mark

For my personal use, I purchase RHEL license from eBay.  (WS & ES)
Usually they are IBM or Dell distribued RHEL disks and usually they
are older versions.
The first time I registered and "enrolled" the Dell-distributed RHEL at RHN.
Then, I downloaded the ISO of the version I wanted/needed.
After burning the ISO to disc, I use the discs to install RHEL.
NO PROBLEMS!

At work they purchase either directly from Red Hat or from their
software vendor.
I do the same thing.
NO PROBLEMS!

$Work and I use HP Proliants for ES/AS and I use HP business laptops for WS/ES.
I use Ubuntu for Dell laptops.  (much prettier!)

If linux is a UNIX or UNIX-like OS, then think like a UNIX
admin--there is ALWAYS more than one way to do anything in UNIX.
Since UNIX admins are lazy--do things the easy way.