Dell "software"

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Mon Nov 12 11:09:51 UTC 2007

mark <mailto:m.roth2006 at rcn.com> scribbled on Thursday, November 08, 2007 2:56
PM:

>>> So everything I had aside on /opt is toast, and that'll be hours more
>>> work.
>>>
>>> No, I can't recommend this crap.
>>
>> Sorry to rain on your parade, but this way of restoring an os-install on
>> a brand-name server (on clients as well) is rather common. I'm surprised
>> you didn't know about this. On the bright side; you only tend to do this
>> once...
>
> I've never needed it before - this is the first time working with blade
> servers, and I haven't had trouble with a computer not finding the CD it
> booted from for a Linux install since my first time with a laptop.
>
> And if this is "accepted" as common, then I reiterate, it's amateur, in
> the *worst* sense of the word. I wanted to save all the data, as I'd
> doing an
> upgrade of a full release. As I said in my article in the July SysAdmin
> magazine, it's always better to do a full install when going up a full
> release, since nobody gives you a good way to do that, as they do for a
> subrelease upgrade.
>
> Why would I want to wipe /home, or /opt, if they already exist? Give me
> one
> good reason.

Ah, in that case; Welcome to the wonderful world of restore-cds!

Beats me. As I said earlier, this is not to my liking either, but that's how
the restore-cds are made and work, or was that more of a rhetorical question
maybe? 8-]

Please note that I don't in any way like they do it either, ie Dell et al.
Just trying to explain how restore-cds usually work. Not trying to bait you or
anything. 8-)