Mixing SATA and SCSI disks

Marcelino Mata mmata at multimatic.com
Tue Nov 13 23:38:52 UTC 2007

I have some RHEL3 boxes that I can not upgrade.  I wanted to add SATA
controller to one of them and use it for cheap expansion (non-critical
data).  I know with some other RHEL3 boxes with Nvidia NForce SATA
controller (sata_nv), I could not mix SCSI and SATA drives.

Does anyone know if this problem is limited to certain SATA chipsets or
2.4 kernel in general?  Is it possible to mix SATA and SCSI drives?

I am thinking of mixing sil3114 based controller (sata_sil) with system
with HP SCSI RAID controller (cciss).

TIA,

Marcelino