Oracle on Red Hat best practices

Chuck chuck.carson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:39:03 UTC 2007

Try this site:
http://www.puschitz.com/

I have been using his guides for years. (even as an employee at Oracle
I found myself using his guides over the wordy/lengthy oracle docs)
You also wanna become familiar with the Oracle architecture. There are
various components you want to segregate onto different physical
spindles. Oracle has what they called the OFA - optimum Flexible
Architecture. This covers what components should go where. (ie: You
don't want 2 log groups on the same filesystems, not only are you
getting redundant I/O per every transaction but you have lost the
redundancy if that filesystem fails. You also don't want to store a
table's indexes on the same filesystem as the table itself -- so place
index tablespaces on separate spindles from the corresponding data
tablespaces. There are just a few examples)

Other than that, avoid raid 5 for OLTP databases if you can, and I
personally avoid using NFS for storing datafiles, although Oracle uses
NFS for datafiles for almost 90% of their databases. (10 years ago
Oracle documentation stated don't EVER mount datafiles accross NFS but
today, after being in bed with NetApp all these years, its apparently
ok to do)

Of course all this is based on your planned workload. It is possible
to store an entire database all in one filesystem but you won't be
able to scale much, nor will you be able to recover 100% of your
transactions (100% of the time) if that filesystem fails.

Hope this helps,
CC