Oracle on Red Hat best practices

Chuck chuck.carson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 18:44:11 UTC 2007

Avoid raw devices if at all possible. Now days with vxfs and ext3, it
is very seldom needed, and it just makes backups and recovery more of
a pain in the ass. I would also avoid ASM if possible. You will be
lucky to gain a 5% performance bump moving to raw devices. You can
typically get the same gains by adding more drive spindles and moving
stuff around. I most definitely would avoid using raw files on
anything platform outside of AIX and Solaris. Linux is just to rapidly
changing to offer the platform stability that sun/aix have. I remember
having scores of issues on Red Hat 6.2 trying to use raw devices. (of
course nothing was supported back then, including the HBA drivers, so
things are a bit more stable today, I'm sure. However, I would still
avoid raw devices -- they are the bane of any SA)

-Cuhck